5 great picnic cheeses
PCC Taste | June 2014
Some cheeses come with their own built-in accessories, making them ideal for spontaneous get-togethers with friends when we luck into a warm, sunny day. There's no particular need for additional condiments, because these cheeses feature herbs and spices that are either mixed in as they're made, or sprinkled on top after pressing — or in one case, both, for extra flavor.
- Cypress Grove Purple Haze The warmth of an afternoon in the garden is contained in this fresh goat cheese, which is sprinkled with fennel pollen and lavender. Just add a baguette and your favorite white wine.
- Fromage d'Affinois GARLIC & HERB A dense, almost fudgy, Brie-style cheese that is generously accented with garlic and a traditional blend of parsley, chives, tarragon and chervil. Delectable with Olli salame and a pale ale.
- Orange Windmill Leyden A classic Dutch cheese, plentiful cumin seeds define the spicy, tangy flavor, and a firm texture makes it nicely packable. Pair with dark rye and a crisp lager.
- Long Clawson Cotswold A rich, creamy English cheddar blended with chives and green onions, this flavor-packed cheese goes wonderfully with cherry tomatoes, crusty bread and a glass of hard cider.
- Montchevre-Betin Garlic & Herb Soft enough to spread on your favorite crackers, this garlicky goodness is perfect to munch on alongside sweet carrots. Knudsen's Sparkling Organic Pear juice is a fresh and fizzy accompaniment.